UNIVERSITY COUNCIL (Conseil d’administration)
- To approve the university’s contract between the University and the Ministry of Education (contrat d’établissement) .
- To vote on the budget and to approve the financial statements.
- To approve the agreements and conventions signed by the President of the university and, according to the specific conditions established by decree, loans, holdings, creation of affiliations and foundations set out in article L. 719-12, acceptance of donations and legacy payments, and property acquisitions and disposals.
- To adopt the university’s internal regulations .
- At the request of the President and respecting national priorities, to establish the distribution of posts that have been allocated by the relevant Ministry.
- To authorize the President to initiate any legal action.
- To approve the annual activity report (rapport annuel d’activité), which includes a balance sheet (bilan) and a future plan, presented by the President.
- To approve the social audit (bilan social) presented each year by the President following the advice of the technical committee (comité technique) referred to in article L. 951-1-1. This audit presents the change in the balance between university staff on permanent and fixed-term contracts (titulaires and contractuels, respectively) and the actions that have been taken to reduce job insecurity among employees. The data and results of this audit are considered in relation to the provisional human resources management objectives set out in the contract referred to in article L. 711-1.
- To deliberate on all questions submitted by the President, in particular regarding opinions and wishes expressed by University Council (conseil académique), and to approve the latter’s decisions in application of Section V of the article L. 712-6-1.
- To adopt the multi-annual plan (schéma directeur pluriannuel) regarding disability policy as proposed by the University Council. Each year, the President presents to the University Council a performance report (rapport d’exécution) of this plan, with results and monitoring indicators.
Structure: 36 members
- 8 representatives of university professors and equivalent staff who work in the institution;
- 8 representatives of the other lecturer-researchers, lecturers, and equivalent staff who work in the institution;
- 8 external people;
- 6 student representatives and continuing education students enrolled at the institution;
- 6 representatives of engineering, administrative, technical and library staff who work in the institution.
ACADEMIC COUNCIL (CONSEIL ACADÉMIQUE)
- 1° The Academic Council is consulted on all measures that aim to guarantee the exercise of academic rights and student trade union and political rights.
- 2° It is consulted or may issue recommendations on policy directions for training, research, scientific and technical documentation; how to respond to and qualify vacant or requested teaching and research positions; the accreditation request provided for in article L.631-1; and on the institution’s contract (contrat d’établissement with the relevant Ministry.
- 3° The Academic Council can make proposals concerning the multi-annual plan (schéma directeur pluriannuel) as regards the disability policy.
- 1° The Academic Council examines individual questions relating to the recruitment, assignment and careers of lecturer-researchers. It deliberates on the integration of civil service employees from other departments and services into the lecturer-researcher corps and on the recruitment or renewal of temporary teaching and research assistants.
- 2° In disciplinary sessions it is a first resort disciplinary authority with regard to lecturer-researcher, lecturers and users.
The Academic Council comprises the members of the Research Commission (commission de la recherche) and the Commission of Education, Training and University Life (CFVU). Its expertise covers disciplinary matters within the framework of the disciplinary session as well as assessment of individual questions relating to the recruitment, assignment and careers of lecturer-researchers. The powers of the Academic Council are set out in article L712-4 of the Education Code (code de l’éducation).
RESEARCH COMMITTEE OF THE ACADEMIC COUNCIL (Commission de la recherche du conseil académique)
- 1° To distribute the research budget allocated by the University Council and subject to the strategic framework for its allocation as defined by the University Council (conseil d’administration).
- 2° To set out the operational rules for laboratories.
- 3° It is consulted on agreements and conventions with research organizations.
- 4° It adopts measures that enable students to develop activities for the dissemination of scientific, technical and industrial culture.
Structure: 40 members
30 MEMBERS OF STAFF FROM THE FOLLOWING PROFESSIONAL CATEGORIES:
- 14 representatives: professors and equivalent staff,
- 6 representatives: staff who are accredited to direct research (HDRs) and who do not belong to the aforementioned professional category,
- 6 representatives: staff who hold non-University PhDs or do not belong to the aforementioned professional categories,
- 1 representative: teaching and research staff who do not belong to the aforementioned professional categories,
- 2 representatives: engineers and technicians who do not belong to the aforementioned professional categories,
- 1 representative: staff who do not belong to any of the aforementioned professional categories.
4 REPRESENTATIVES: DOCTORAL STUDENTS ENROLLED IN INITIAL OR CONTINUING EDUCATION
6 EXTERNAL PEOPLE:
- 2 representatives from the following regional and departmental authorities:
Conseil régional de Bretagne
and Conseil départemental du Finistère.
- 2 representatives of economic activities:
the competitivity clusters Sea and Ocean, and Image and Networks
- 1 representative from a large public service:
French National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS) and the Bretagne et Pays de la Loire delegation.
- 1 person participating on an individual basis
CFVU: COMMISSION FOR EDUCATION AND TRAINING AND UNIVERSITY LIFE
The Commission for Education and Training and University Life Commission of the Academic Council is consulted on the training programmes and courses of the different departments and faculties.
- 1° The distribution of theresearch training and education budget allocated by the University Council and subject to the strategic framework for its allocation as defined by the University Council.
- 2° Examination rules.
- 3° Rules relating toteaching assessments.
- 4° Measures for student success.
- 5° Measures to implementstudent career guidance actions and the validation of acquired experience (VAE), to help students manage the transition to working life, to encourage cultural, sporting, social or associative activities for students, and measures to improve living and working conditions, in particular relating to support activities, academic and school works, medical and social services, libraries and documentation centres, and access to digital resources.
- 6° Measures for the promotion and development of science and society interactions, initiated and run by students or lecturer-researchers, both within institutions themselves and other institutions that come under the university’s scope.
- 7° The necessary measures for welcoming students with a disability or an incapacitating health condition, and measures for their success, in accordance with the obligations for higher education institutions set out in Article L. 123-4-2.
Structure: 40 members
16 LECTURER-RESEARCHERS AND LECTURERS FOR THE FOLLOWING PROFESSIONAL CATEGORIES:
- 8 representatives from the professor corps and equivalent staff,
- 8 representatives from the lecturer corps and equivalent staff from other professional categories
4 REPRESENTATIVES OF ENGINEERING, ADMINISTRATIVE, AND TECHNICAL NON-ACADEMIC AND SERVICES STAFF
4 EXTERNAL PEOPLE:
- 1 representative from the following local authorities: Brest Métropole
- 1 representative of economic activities: CESER (regional economic, social and environment council of Brittany)
- 1 representative of a secondary school
- 1 person participating on an individual basis